Another month another slice of the model pizza pie finished up. It was a busy February and I was bouncing between projects so didn’t really get rolling into around mid month.
I sprayed up the models red as it was the quickest start, and since the models are 90% red.. gets a lot of the base work done!
I forgot to base them before I sprayed them… genius move, so I had to do that after the fact. I couldn’t overly decide on any 1 theme to use from the codex, so I settled on the red bodies but with the black flame paint over the face. It gave a really nice pop to the models I felt and let me do a little free handing with flames. I also took the blue cloth and black weapons from another scheme.
I started with a single Fire Dragon to figure out how I’d paint them. I have never painted a scheme and armour colour like this before so it was a fair amount of experimenting. Initially I was going to do under cloth/armour all black, and just have the plate armour be red.. but honestly laziness of having to be that finicky made me just stick with all red. I was also surprised by how well defined those red cheeks were!
As usual these models had a million gems on them to paint which was… fun? I still haven’t managed to really nail those yet. I get some looking okay but I often find I want to improve them. Maybe by the end of this I’ll feel more comfortable with it.
Initially I was only going to do 3 Fire Dragons but some shame from having so few models this challenge initially has prompted me to add some more in. I pulled out another 3 from the box which I believe at least let me paint all the sculpts they had done, with a couple duplicates. I kinda just went ham mixing up a couple reds and orange on the wet palette to blend up the highlights. The weapon barrels I gave a fiery blend which I think popped nicely with the black weapon stock.
I’ll post the finished pics at the bottom, but next up was Fuegan. I copied his paint job from the book almost entirely as I couldn’t really find other sources in any books to use. He was honestly quite fun to paint and gave me some chances to try out new techniques with him. I really stoked with the firepike from red into yellow which was just a bunch of wet blending. I originally wanted to do a banner (since he has one in the book on his gun) but couldn’t really find a way to get it done and didn’t want to run out of time and rush it. The freehand would be beyond my skills anyway! I did find some Eldar (or Dark Eldar) back banner I was gonna stick on him but it kept breaking off and I was too lazy to pin it and get it all ready by the deadline. Something I can save for later however.
Here’s the finished shots of all the models!
Thanks again for following and please go check out the other participants over at the Cowabunga blog too! Some really beautiful work going on as usual: https://cowabungajournal.com/2023/03/01/40k2ndac-iv-x-x/
We’ll see you again soon for slice 3, Striking Scorpions! And maybe some extras..
Leave a Reply